The official launch of Cowes United, a brand new Committee Boat for Cowes, took place on 13th May on Trinity Landing opposite the Royal London Yacht Club. Ben Rouse, High Sheriff of the Island, made an amusing speech and dedication. This purpose-built catamaran is a state-of-the art Committee Boat, and is fully equipped to a very high standard; it is made available by the generosity of David & Patsy Franks.
David’s speech disclosed his dream that Ben Ainslie representing Britain and the Royal Yacht Squadron would bring the cup home and then select this new boat as the Committee Boat for the 2019 competition in the Solent. The six clubs which together form Cowes Combined Clubs (Royal London, Royal Ocean Racing Club, Royal Thames, Royal Yacht Squadron, Island Sailing Club and Cowes Corinthian) have already booked the boat for some of their racing this season.
It will be used at many major events including Cowes Week, Charles Stanley Direct Cowes Classic Week, IRC Nationals, Telegraph Bowl, Silicon Cup, and Royal Thames Etchells Invitational for the Gertrude Cup.
The specifications of Cowes United are;
- Twin Yamaha Outboards capable of 18 knots
- USB ports
- Automatic windlass controlled from the cockpit
- Starting horn
- PA system
- Raised viewing platform with electronic readouts and communication
- Dodgers on viewing platform as a wind break; space available for your sponsors
- Complete safety equipment, MCA registration and insurance
- Bow thrustero
- Racing flag pole mounts and racing flags
- Course board on stern with direction, course (including letter/number/symbol) and
- B&G Precision 9 Compass and B&G Vulcan 9 chart plotters
- Repeaters of wind direction and speed both current and display of past 10 minutes
- Electronic chart
- Navigation table
- Large outside area and seats partly covered from the weather
- VHF including private channels,
- AIS both receiving and transmitting
- GRP hull (not steel)
- 12 Spinlock Deckvest LITE Lifejackets.
- Wheelchair access
- Outside shelter
- Inside working area
- A bosun has been appointed to ensure that the boat is well maintained.
The boat is supported by help from the Cowes Harbour Commissioners. Joliffes Chandlery in Cowes, B&G and Spinlock have been particularly generous as sponsors.
Cowes United will be used for many youth sailing events supported by Cowes Yacht Haven and Red Funnel, who have both been very generous in their support.15/05/2017